Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: I'm Reed Fish

Review: I'm Reed Fish


I'm Reed Fish

Posted:

I'm Reed Fish (DVD)
By Jay Baruchel

I stumbled on to this on my Netflix "instant play" feature as something to watch. The Netflix rating system told me I'd like it, and they were right! So much so that I'll probably buy it soon.

The coming of age love story watches the goings-on of Reed Fish, a "literal" big fish in a small town who has a daily radio show he inherited from his dad. The slam dunk in this movie is Schuyler Fisk's performance and music. She's incredibly engaging. Her music is wonderful. Jay Baruchel, as the title character Reed, and Alexis Bledel, as his fiancée, do an excellent job.

Some reviewers trash this film for various perceived ills, but they are completely missing the humour and the point. Reed Fish is a big fish, pun intended, in this little town, and spends his days solving problems for his listeners and otherwise operating as a pillar of his community despite his youth - it's meant to be a little weird, I think. There are many moments where the movie laughs at itself for all these "flaws", which I'm sure were engineered in in part to mimic reality. Do yourself a favor - suspend your reality for a moment and enjoy it for what it is - a delightfully engaging, charming romantic comedy.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
//PART 2